Ephemera

Thursday, March 17, 2005

River Ruins

I had to go to the bank to make a deposit, so on the way home, I stopped at Kellogg Creek Park. I took a picture of some old massive steel embedded in a big block of concrete. The painted tops of the retaining wall by the river looked interesting to me as well.

I also stopped by another park on the way home, Villa-something-or-other park. I wanted to check out the big railroad bridge over the Willamette. There was some talk a while back of using this bridge for a pedestrian crossing from Milwaukie to Lake Oswego. After checking out the state of the concrete pylons, I can see why the railroad was not eager to embrace this idea. (Their official response was that they were concerned about the safety of pedestrians.) My hunch is that the additional structures necessary to attach a pedestrian walkway to the bridge might be more than the old bridge can handle.

I'll bet the people building the river-front homes in Lake Oswego aren't too interested in having the old train trestle turned into a pedestrian bridge.

I think it would be cool to have the old railroad bridge adapted so pedestrians and bicylists can cut across the river to Lake Oswego, but I'm not going to hold my breath.